11/9/07

My First Recollections

It was 12 years ago in April that I remember sitting around a table at Legends Grille being interviewed for an associate minister's position in Franklin, TN. David Langhans, Glenn McGehee and Mike Cornwell were all on the search committee and assigned the job of grilling me that day. :-)

As we discussed the available position, the needs of the young people and my background; I remember one of the men sharing their vision of starting a new congregation "down the road" one day. It registered in my head because I have always believed that it is the responsibility of the church to reproduce itself. That forward thinking caught my attention as much as anything else in our conversation that day.

I was blessed to get the position and over the years there were periodic discussions of a need for a congregation in Spring Hill, TN. I guess it was around 2003 - 2004 that those conversations started to take root. A few families began to meet to discuss the possibilities of starting a new work and in the fall of 2004 I started to participate in some of those discussions and help with some of the initial planning. There were a number of different families who participated in those conversations at different times and if I tried to name them all, I certainly would miss someone who made a significant contribution to the discussion.

By the Spring of 2005 a small group of Christians was mobilized to begin working on a plan, locating space and developing a philosophy of work for the new congregation (still nameless). The steps that would follow in the next 6 months were both exciting and taxing as this dream that started a decade earlier (longer than that really), was beginning to take shape.

No comments: